For centuries, they have lived in Myanmar as a minority in the predominantly Buddhist nation.
"But it's for her now to make clear that this is an abomination and that these people will be allowed back to Burma and that preparation is being made and that the abuses of their human rights and the killings will stop".
Yesterday, more than 2000 people joined faith organisations, including the Western Cape Religious Leaders Forum, the Cape Town Interfaith Initiative and the Worker's International Organisation, to hand over a memorandum to the government to put pressure on Myanmar.
"When one-third of the Rohingya population had to flee the country, could you find a better word to describe it?" he told a news conference in New York.
US State Department official Patrick Murphy was set to visit Myanmar to press for an end to violence and allowing humanitarian aid in Rakhine state.
More than 370,000 Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh to escape the violence since Aug. 25, according to the United Nations, an average of almost 20,000 a day. We are particularly concerned about reports of the impact that the conflict and displacement is having on women and girls.
"The humanitarian situation is catastrophic", said Mr Guterres.
The issue came to the fore after the Home Ministry had in July said illegal immigrants such as the Rohingyas posed grave security challenges as they might be recruited by terror groups, and asked state governments to identify and deport them.
The exodus of refugees, sparked by the security forces' fierce response to a series of Rohingya militant attacks, is the most pressing problem Ms Suu Kyi has faced since becoming leader last year.
As Dhaka struggled to cope with the scale of the "unprecedented crisis", dozens of refugees were found in three towns hundreds of kilometres from the Myanmar frontier, stoking fears that thousands of Rohingya Muslims will move from the border region into the the mainland of Bangladesh.
Unverified footage shows crowds of people surrounding the shallows of Naf River as a young boy helps pull lifeless children from the water and lays them on the sand.
Bangladesh authorities are now registering new arrivals and building a massive new camp near the border with Myanmar to accommodate the influx.
- Bree Keller, modelo australiana murió en un accidente de tránsito
- Amnistía: "En México las mujeres están constantemente en riesgo"
- Encabeza Evodio Velázquez Ceremonia del 207 Aniversario del Grito de independencia
- Destrozaron a Guillermina Valdés
- Ángelo Henríquez vuelve a convertir por el Dinamo Zagreb
- Comité político del PLD discute posición sobre ley de partidos
- Apple Is Forgetting the Common Man with Its New Products
- San Lorenzo le ganó con lo justo a Arsenal
- Cinco países evaluarán trabajo de ejecución de tren bioceánico
- Fla. Sheriff's Office: Don't shoot a gun at the hurricane