We continue to follow developments in Myanmar and Bangladesh and hope that the ordeal of the Rohingyas will soon end.
This is the third time in three weeks that Bangladesh has summoned Myanmar's envoy as the refugee crisis of the Rohingya grows.
A U.N. panel of experts defined it as "rendering an area ethnically homogeneous by using force or intimidation to remove persons of given groups".
A crackdown by Myanmar's army, launched in response to attacks by Rohingya militants on August 25, has pushed vast numbers of the stateless Muslim minority across the border, triggering a humanitarian crisis.
This year, her office said she would not be attending because of the security threats posed by the insurgents and her efforts to restore peace and stability.
So far, more than 3,00,000 Rohingya Muslims have reportedly fled to Bangladesh while another 40,000 have taken shelter in India.
Chilling accounts have emerged from Rohingya refugees telling of soldiers firing on civilians and razing entire villages in the north of Rakhine state with the help of Buddhist mobs. The family had other relatives who were injured. "If you are a regional power, then you will have to deal with the situation", Owaisi was quoted as saying. "We have terrorist attacks and also there are many works on public safety and humanitarian works", spokesman Zaw Htay said in a statement.
It is not generally known to Filipinos but in 2015, boatloads of Rohingyas fleeing persecution in Myanmar arrived in the Philippines and were readily admitted and granted asylum.
Technically they are just "the Rohingya", the majority of whom happen to be Muslim. On September 7, about a dozen journalists on a government-controlled trip through Rakhine saw new fires burning in a village that had been abandoned by Rohingya.
The Sikh group, after taking permission from the concerned local authorities, started off with distributing water bottles and then put in camp to prepare food for the huge exodus.
- Semifinales al rojo en Copa Davis
- Declararon 15 gendarmes y aún no hay pistas firmes de Maldonado
- Maduro invita al pueblo a participar en elecciones del 15 de octubre
- Agüero pide pista: hat trick para el Manchester City
- Zidane lo reconoce: "necesitamos a Cristiano". Les espera la invicta Real Sociedad
- IDF arrests 2 Palestinians for crossing into Israel from Gaza
- "Dybala se autoelimina de la Selección" — Grondona
- Los hermosillenses desfilan por la Independencia
- Las impresionantes imágenes del nuevo estadio del Atlético de Madrid
- Islas Vírgenes americanas niegan entrada a evacuados no estadounidenses